Skip to main content



The Church of the Good Shepherd, Lowgill,Tatham Fells

14 September 2017

There has been a church in Tatham Fells on this site in the hills above Lancaster since at least 1577 and possibly considerably earlier.  The present building designed by the Lancaster firm of Paley and Austin dates from 1887-88 and cost £1,200 to construct.  Pevsner observed in 1969 that "the two arches of the tower create a dignity beyond the scale of the building.  The roofs with their windbraces are a pleasure too."

Most of the fabric and furniture dates from this rebuilding though the stained glass windows, the lectern and the lychgate were added soon afterwards either by local families or by subscription.  A few things date from the earlier period: a window on the south side of the sanctuary, the bishop's chair, the altar rails, the plaques containing the Ten Commandments and Apostle's Creed at the west end of the Church, and, in the vestry, the old font.  The George III coat of arms has been restored and re-hung.

The Church and the community…

Latest posts

St James Church Dalehead ,Gisburn Forest